Benefits for AFGE Members
When you join the union, you have access to these AFGE benefits. These benefits are backed by the collective strength of over 10-million members of AFL-CIO unions. By using one or two of the programs, many members save as much as their annual dues.
These Money-Saving Benefits are Available Only to AFGE Members:
Free Accident Insurance
How to Access This Benefit
This benefit is only available to members of AFGE. If you are a member of AFGE, please login to the Members Only section
. If you are not a member, but would like to find out how to become one, please visit the Join AFGE
Free Accident Insurance
Every five minutes, someone in America dies from an accident. The Union Plus Insurance Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) plan creates a safety net for members and their families.
Your AFGE membership entitles you to enroll for one year of no-cost coverage:
- $5,000 of coverage against accidental death from covered motor vehicle/pedestrian accidents, or
- $1,000 of coverage for death due to any other type of accident at home, at work and while commuting or traveling anywhere in the world.
- This benefit is not automatic. Enroll online or download the enrollment PDF form to take advantage of this coverage - at no cost for union members! Coverage may be renewed at the end of each one-year term.
Purchase enhanced coverage:
For added protection and peace of mind, you may choose to purchase additional accidental death and dismemberment coverage from $25,000 to $200,000 at group rates.
- $25,000 to $200,000 base amount all-cause, 24-hour accidental death and dismemberment benefits.
- If an accidental death* occurs due to injury sustained while riding as a passenger on any common carrier - such as an airplane, train, bus or taxi - your beneficiary would receive an additional $100,000 in coverage. For example, if you purchase $150,000 of expanded coverage, your beneficiary would receive $250,000.
- If an accidental death results from a workplace accident, your beneficiary would receive an additional $50,000.* For example, if you purchase $100,000 in expanded coverage, your beneficiary would receive $150,000.
- If an accidental death results from a motor vehicle accident or as a pedestrian, your beneficiary would receive an additional $25,000 in coverage.* For example, if you purchase $100,000 of expanded coverage, your beneficiary would receive $125,000.
- Benefits are paid for loss of limbs, speech, hearing or sight.
- Coverage provided for the member alone or entire family 24-hours-a-day, everywhere.
- Pays in addition to any other insurance you may have.
- No termination age; however, benefit amounts reduce by half at age 70.
*Only one benefit, whichever is the greater, will be paid for any one accident. Death must occur within 365 days of injury.
Additional coverage members can purchase:
- 60-day review period with a satisfaction guarantee.
- Guaranteed to be issued - no health questions or medical exam or exclusions based on pre-existing conditions.
- Family Coverage - Entire immediate family can be covered for one price. (May not be available in all states or in all unions)
Who should purchase AD&D coverage?
Any union member who wants coverage that will help pay for the rent or mortgage, food, clothes, transportation, medical bills, school, college and the many day-to-day living expenses a family will have after the member's death.
How much does it cost?
Enhanced Coverage for Individual (for union member) or Family (for union member, spouse/domestic partner, and children):
$25,000 - $3.27 (individual), $4.00 (family)
$50,000 - $5.24 (individual), $6.70 (family)
$75,000 - $7.21 (individual), $9.40 (family)
$100,000 - $9.19 (individual), $12.10 (family)
$125,000 - $11.16 (individual), $14.80 (family)
$150,000 - $13.13 (individual), $17.50 (family)
$175,000 - $15.10 (individual), $20.20 (family)
$200,000 - $17.07 (individual), $22.90 (family)
*After age 70, Enhanced coverage benefits reduce by half. Rates and/or benefits may be changed on a class basis.
**Rates shown are countrywide except for Washington. For Washington rates, please call 1-800-393-0864.
***Spouse/domestic partner benefit is 50% of union member's selected benefit; children's coverage is 10% of union member's selected coverage.
Who is eligible for coverage?
- No-cost coverage: Only for union members ages 18 and older.
- Enhanced coverage: Union members and spouses or domestic partners ages 18 and older.
- Spouse or domestic partner can purchase coverage separately.
- Spouse or domestic partner and children can be combined into one family policy with member.
- Children to age 19 (24 if full-time student).
- Available in all states and the District of Columbia - not available in Canada or U.S. territories.
- Accidental death is covered 365 days from date after the accident that caused fatal injuries.
Available outside the US?
Answer: No. AFGE continues its effort to expand this and other benefit programs to all members regardless of where they reside.