Benefits for AFGE Members
When you join the union, you have access to these AFGE benefits. These benefits are backed by the collective strength of over 10-million members of AFL-CIO unions. By using one or two of the programs, many members save as much as their annual dues.
These Money-Saving Benefits are Available Only to AFGE Members:
Professional Liability Insurance
How to Access This Benefit
This benefit is only available to members of AFGE. If you are a member of AFGE, please login to the Members Only section
. If you are not a member, but would like to find out how to become one, please visit the Join AFGE
Professional Liability Insurance
Could you be accused of: false allegations; misuse of government property; insubordination; refusal to cooperate; inflated expense report; creating a hostile work environment, retaliatory actions; telling a joke taken the wrong way?
Lawsuits against federal employees are increasing at an alarming rate. Most of us are unwilling to accept that we could somehow make a mistake or that our employer or a member of the public could turn against us. But in reality, all it takes is one complaint against management, one angry supervisor, one vindictive inmate, one failed assignment, or one jealous coworker, and both your job and your personal assets could be on the line.
Because of this a Professional Liability Insurance program has been developed exclusively for members in consultation with AFGE law enforcement representatives from the Veterans Administration, Bureau of Prisons and Homeland Security. Underwritten by an “A” rated insurance company, this insurance draws on the expertise of a large, experienced law firm to give members the legal representation they deserve.
Benefits include: $1million of insurance for judgments arising from acts or errors and omissions involving personal injury, bodily injury, or property damage while you are performing within the scope of your employment; $100,000 for defense costs arising out of administrative proceedings, and $10,000 for accidental death while on the job.
What does it cover?
- Federal employees for negligent acts and judgments from alleged acts, errors or omissions while in their scope of employment. This includes any civil suit for an alleged criminal act.
- Federal employees for any defense costs associated with disciplinary hearings, judicial sanctions or criminal proceedings, or any investigations into the federal employee’s alleged misconduct while in the course of employment.
Who is eligible?
- All federal employees, who are eligible for benefits from the American Federation of Government Employees.
How do the limits of liability apply?
- $1,000,000 indemnification limit per federal employee for an alleged civil action. Defense costs associated with this civil action is in addition to the limits of liability.
- $100,000 Sub-limit per federal employee for Defense Costs arising out of Administrative Proceedings.
What additional benefits are exclusive to AFGE members under this program?
- AFGE members will have $10,000 in accidental death and dismemberment rider to the policy.
What is the Coverage Territory?
- AFGE members are covered in their legal jurisdiction or anywhere in the world as long as the federal employee is acting in the scope of their employment.
How much does it cost?
- $11.00 bi-weekly, $66.00 quarterly, $133.00 semi-annually and $266.00 annually.
Who is the underwriter?
- Evanston Insurance Company, who has a financial rating from the A.M. Best of “AX” (excellent).
What role does Mass Benefits Consultants, Inc. have?
- Mass Benefits will be responsible for premium collection, administrative services, claims processing and policy holder services.
What role does Benefit Architects have?
- Benefit Advisors will be responsible for the distribution of marketing materials, including applications, product brochures and in coordinating organizing events with each National Vice President in his or her District.
Available outside the US?