The Department of Commerce's mission is "to foster, promote, and develop the foreign and domestic commerce" of the United States, which encompasses the responsibility to foster, serve, and promote the Nation's economic development and technological advancement. DOC employees support this mission with these activities:
- Participating with other Government agencies in the creation of national policy, through the President's Cabinet and its subdivisions.
- Promoting and assisting international trade.
- Strengthening the international economic position of the United States.
- Promoting progressive domestic business policies and growth.
- Improving comprehension and uses of the physical environment and its oceanic life.
- Ensuring effective use and growth of the Nation's scientific and technical resources.
- Acquiring, analyzing, and disseminating information regarding the Nation and the economy to help achieve increased social and economic benefit.
- Assisting states, communities, and individuals with economic progress.
- Economic development
- Minority business development
- North American trade and security
- Economic stimulus
Why Join AFGE?