Author: Chelsea Bland
Instagram is a popular social networking site that allows you to share images and videos on its robust platform. Visually compelling content thrives on this platform making photos and videos the primary content you will share with your followers.
Getting started with Instagram only take a few short steps! Before you create your account, here are a few things to keep in mind.
- Identify what you want to accomplish on the platform. This includes identifying the audience you want to reach and the kind of content you want to share.
- Map out your resources and create a plan to get started. Maintaining a social media site takes people power to keep the page updated with fresh content. It’s important to determine who will create the content and run the page, as well as map out what content you will post and when.
- Choose your username and secure your password. When creating a social media account remember to choose a username that clearly, represents your local, council, or district. When it comes to your password make sure it is strong and keep it secure among a few key people on your team. In the event someone transitions out of the local you don’t want all the local’s passwords to go with them!
- Be creative and think visually. Anything posted to Instagram must be an image or a video. You want to be sure to mix up your content with member photos, events, thoughtful quotes, engaging videos, and more. Think beyond just posting lunch & learn photos. Get creative on how you can make your feed come alive.
Now, here’s how to create your account.
Instagram app for Android and iPhone:
- Download the Instagram app from the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android).
- Once the app is installed, tap the Instagram icon to open it.
- Tap Sign Up With Email or Phone Number (Android) or Create New Account (iPhone), then enter your email address or phone number (which will require a confirmation code) and tap Next. You can also tap Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with your email or phone number, create a username and password, fill out your profile info and then tap Next. If you register with Facebook, you'll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you're currently logged out.
Instagram.com from a computer:
- Go to instagram.com.
- Click Sign up, enter your email address, create a username and password or click Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register with an email, click Sign up. If you register with Facebook, you'll be prompted to log into your Facebook account if you're currently logged out.
Here are a few tips to get you started in developing your Instagram feed.
- Keep in mind that while you can create an account and view Instagram pages on the web, all posting of content must be done via a mobile device.
- Brush up on your mobile photo and video skills using our quick guide here. Note: when filming video for Instagram it’s okay to record vertically on your mobile device.
- Use a free graphic design website like Canva to create graphics for your feed.
- Think about possibly using a color or filter that unifies all the images that make it to your main feed. This can help in creating a cohesive look for your page.
- Reshare content and engage with other accounts using Instagram stories.
- Consider creating a regularly scheduled video series that you can share via IGTV.
- And, as mentioned before, plan out your content! Download our simple Excel spreadsheet to help you plan out your content.
We’ll see you on Instagram!
*Remember: Do NOT set up or access any social media account using your government email address.