We have an immediate opportunity for an experienced Human Resources Analyst/Specialist professional to join our team in the Human Resources Department.
Our federation is committed to our employees and offers competitive salaries, opportunity for growth and attractive benefit packages. Excellent benefits packages include: Medical, Dental, Vision, 4 weeks of vacation leave, 11 holidays, 13 sick leave, retirement plans (401K and Pension), EAP, Life Insurance, AD&D, etc.
The position is location in Washington, DC, (2 blocks from the metro). Our work week is 35 hours.
This position is located in the Human Resources Department of the National Office and is under the direction of the Human Resources Manager.
Incumbent of this position serves as the Human Resources Analyst/Specialist providing administrative support for the Human Resources Department. Human Resources Analyst/Specialist is responsible for managing policies, contracts and programs applicable to an AFGE staff of 280 individuals, 110 retirees, plus interns and temporary staff in the areas of employment, labor relations, benefits, wage and salary administration, staff development and training, workers compensation and employee services. The majority of our staff is located in DC (National Office); however, we also have staff located in our 12 district offices across the U.S.
There are four (4) bargaining units represented by four (4) unions covering all of the non-managerial and non-confidential positions. This position is a confidential position and excluded from any bargaining unit.
The incumbent of this position serves as HRAS and provides professional/management level support for the Human Resources Department.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for recruitment administration to include full life-cycle recruitment. (Position description development, job announcement creation, recruitment strategy development, advertisement creation and placement, pre-screening/interviewing applicants. Conducts criminal backgrounds checks and employment references verifications.
- Responsible for onboarding new hires/transfers to include new hire/transferred employees’ paperwork ensuring accuracy and completeness. Coordinate and notify various departments of new hires/transferred employees such as: Finance (Payroll and AP), IS, Building Services and the hiring department to ensure proper and timely setup for access/systems such as email, vouchering, payroll, and building/elevator access. Additionally, ensure that new/transferred employees are introduced to their union representative when applicable.
- Conducts new employee orientations at headquarters to ensure employees gain an understanding of the Federations’ policies and procedures, collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and benefits plans.
- Manages the time and attendance system (Legiant). Provides monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports. Ensures that programs/rules in the system are in compliance with federation policy/practices and CBAs. Serves as subject matter expert.
- Responsible for creating and entering personnel actions such as new hires,
transfers, status changes etc., into the Human Resources Management Systems (HRMS) (ADP-HRB system). Write, maintain and support a variety of reports or queries utilizing appropriate reporting tools HRMS (ADP-HRB/Payroll, and etc.). Assist in development of standard reports for ongoing customer needs. Maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data to include but not limited to: Monthly Employee Listings, Quarterly Time and Attendance, Bi-weekly HR/Payroll change, Monthly ADP-HRB Employee Data Audit, Monthly Probationary Period, as well as other human resources reports as needed.
- Coordinate and assist manager with various labor relations matters. Maintain and track grievances and arbitration cases.
- Coordinate and assist manager with employee handbook, policies and procedures development, tracking and maintenance.
- Coordinate and process temporary agency staffing as needed.
- Responsible for managing, tracking and processing FMLA, ADA, Workers Comp and IME requests/matters.
- Serves as back up for some HR Specialist/Coordinator tasks as needed such as payroll/benefits administration, new employee and annual open enrollment processing.
Resolve benefits problems/concerns as needed. Provide general HR administration functions as needed.
- Prepares, processes and maintains government reports related to EEO, OSHA and other HR related reports.
- Because of the highly confidential nature of matters handled by the Human Resources Department, including matters of employee, retiree and/or union relations, incumbent must exercise the utmost tact and discretion to keep information confidential and safeguard the security of conversations, correspondence, records and files of the Human Resources Department.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years of human resources experience, and/or Business/ HR education/degree (related field) or a combination of Business/HR education and experience (related field). Must be a high school graduate/equivalent.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Possess HR/database management experience. Must be able to keep materials in an organized fashion. Excellent proofreading and attention to details skills required.
- Possess ability to learn procedures and processes in connection with handling correspondence and reports required of the Human Resources Department.
- Must have a good command of the English language (both verbal and written), with strong attention to details.
- Must have effective customers service and problem solving skills. Incumbent must be well spoken to meet and deal with the public, Federation officials, and coworkers by telephone, and in person, in a helpful and courteous and confidential manner. Have an interest in, and loyalty to, the American Labor movement.
Submit your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Also, please state in your cover letter how many years of experience you have in the following areas: Employment, Employee Relations, Benefits and HRIS/Payroll to email@example.com. Please make reference to Human Resources Analyst/Specialist Vacancy Announcement #11 in the subject line.