The Must-Read Stories and Research Behind Women and the Labor Movement
Our members and the AFGE Women’s & Fair Practices Departments fight for equality, dignity and fairness for women in the federal and D.C. government every day.
We know that unions make a difference in the lives of women, their families, and their communities all over the world. So, we decided to find out why.
Here are the must-read stories and research that explains how unions make a difference for women in America and beyond:
Learn the Stories: Photos, Videos, and Heroines
Get the Facts: The Latest Research
- And Still I Rise: Black Women Labor Leaders’ Voices, Power, and Promise, a project from The Institute for Policy Studies (2015)
- #EqualPayEqualSay—Our Voices: A Snapshot of Working Women, AFL-CIO (2016)
- Latino Workers and Unions, a report from the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement (2015)
- Transforming Women's Work: Policies for an Inclusive Economic Agenda, policy recommendations from the Solidarity Center, AFL-CIO, and Rutgers Center for Women's Global Leadership (2016)
- The Women’s Leadership Gap, a report by the Center for American Progress (2014)
- Unionized Women Earn More than Nonunionized Women in Every U.S. State, a report from the Institute for Women’s Policy Research (2015)
Have something you'd like to add to the list? Did a story move you? Did a statistic surprise you? Tell us on Twitter.