The AFGE Auto Buying Service helps members through the vehicle buying process and can provide them with substantial savings. Through the program, union members will receive pre-negotiated, best-market pricing on new or used vehicles (cars, trucks, commercial, agricultural, RV’s, boats, motorcycles, etc.) without having to negotiate with the dealer.
- Pre-negotiated pricing on most new vehicles purchased or leased through the program, typically 2%-3% over dealer invoice.
- Used vehicle pricing at 4% over the cost of the vehicle at auction plus dealer preparation.
- Assistance from the program’s Vehicle Advisors throughout the process.
How the Program Works:
- The member submits a vehicle order form or calls the program.
- Within 48 hours, the Vehicle Advisor contacts the member and helps in selecting a new or used vehicle and options.
- The Vehicle Advisor will then locate the vehicle at a dealer in the member’s area and negotiate a price based on fleet pricing for new vehicles and at near auction cost for used vehicles.
- The dealer signs a contract agreeing to the price and the Vehicle Advisor reports the pre-negotiated price to the member.
- Once the details are acceptable to the member, the Vehicle Advisor sets up a mutually agreeable delivery appointment between the member and the dealer.
- The member goes to the dealership and inspects and test drives the vehicle and the transaction and delivery is completed.
If the member decides not to purchase that vehicle, they may start the process again with the Vehicle Advisor.
While the program can provide an excellent value for a vast majority of members, it may not appear to provide the lowest price for those members who want to take the time to haggle from dealer to dealer. Also, some vehicles may be in such demand that they require premium pricing. However, even for buyers who make car buying a sport, the program can provide an excellent price point to start from.