13 Steps You Can Take If There’s a COVID-19 Outbreak in Your Facility and Your Agency Is Not Doing Anything About It

Categories: The Insider, Coronavirus

Winter is not coming. It’s already here.  

Due to the high volume of COVID-19 exposure in several government agencies, our union has compiled a list of actions to be taken by locals in the event of a COVID-19 exposure on the worksite.  

Here are 13 steps you can take to put pressure on your employer to protect the workforce:  

  1. File an OSHA complaint at the Federal level at https://www.osha.gov/contactus/bystate. It can be done anonymously.  
  2. File a CDC complaint with a request for a CDC team inspection at https://www.cdc.gov/contact/index.htm or call 800-232-4636 and advise them of the confirmed case at your location. Get their name, title, and what action they will be taking. 
  3. Call the governor’s office and inform them of the agency’s negligence. Request that their office get involved and explain that the potential spread of COVID-19 is running high in the community. Contact your state governor at https://www.usa.gov/state-governor
  4. Notify your Council and NVP/NR  
  5. Set up a conference call with all the affected employees. The call would advise the employees on how to proceed with their Workers Compensation Cases and safety. Loop in your NR.  
  6. Demand the agency begin contact tracing, and notify exposed employees, vendors, contractor, and members of the public.  
  7. Demand to bargain as a COVID-19 outbreak has a substantial impact on conditions of employment. Bargaining guidance may be found here. 
  8. Call congressional representatives and the senators in your state to inform them of the failure the agency has made in containing the virus. Contact your elected officials at https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
  9. Pressure the facility to provide sufficient PPE at the facility. Guidance may be found here.  
  10. Engage in best practices as a potential whistleblower, including following guidance and enlisting assistance from AFGE General Counsel. Contact the General Counsel Office at (202) 639-6415.  
  11. Rally for community support. Guidance may be found here.  
  12. Everyone who is exposed and infected should call OSHA, CDC, and congressional leadership and seek a workers comp claim if it is work related.  
  13. Call your state Health Department and advise them that you have a case in your agency.  

For additional AFGE guidance on COVID-19, click here.   

Recent AFGE News:

AFGE Events

Event Calendar is for Members Only. Please Log In to see our calendar of events.


SUBSCRIBE Latest news & info