It’s summer, and that means a scenic road trip to one of America’s national parks!
Whether your idea of a summer fun day is hiking a picturesque trail, swimming in a stunning stream, or camping under the stars, our National Park system is the best place for you to start planning that perfect weekend or vacation.
With more than 400 sites spanning 84 million acres, our National Park system continues to be America’s best idea.
Here are a few fun facts about our national parks to get you excited:
Did you know?
- Yellowstone National Park was the first national park in the United States?
- Shenandoah National Park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, a government jobs program created during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The famous Skyline Drive, campgrounds, trails, overlooks, and everything else were constructed by the jobs program workers.
- Redwood National Park has the world’s tallest tree called Hyperion.
- Several national parks have an artist-in-residence program in which visual artists, writers, musicians, and others are invited to stay in the park and share their art with the public.
- The National Park Service has an app to help you plan your visit to national parks!
AFGE is proud to represent National Park Service employees who protect and maintain our national parks and help make your visit an enjoyable and memorable one.
The People Behind One of America's Favorite National Parks