Form a Joint Union - Management Conavirus Task Force
Because AFGE members are on the frontlines doing the work, no group is in a better position to make certain that the mission and our bargaining employees need to be safeguarded as COVID-19 spreads. This document is a template you can use to let your agency know that the Union is ready, willing and able to meet to begin working in partnership to plan through this crisis. This is an important step in keeping the mission running and keeping people safe.
How to Use This Document:
- Give it to your Agency representatives
- Let your bargaining unit know you are reaching out to the Agency to protect the public, the mission and workforce
- Distribute this letter
- Have lunch and learns and events about the letter, let BUEs know we want their input and want to keep the workplace safe
- Work with the bargaining unit to get input about:
- What vulnerabilities we need to address to keep the workplace safe
- What vulnerabilities we have to the spread of the virus and how to correct them
- What we can do to protect the public, either in the work our agency does or in the way we interact with them during the crisis
- What we need to do to make sure the work of the Agency gets done during different potential stages of the spread of the virus
- If the agency agrees to meet, keep members informed and involved
- Continue to solicit input and involvement- this Union belongs to all the bargaining unit members and we need everybody involved
- Continue to hold events regarding our progress in discussions, and where we haven’t been able to make improvements
- If the agency does not agree to meet, keep members informed and involved
- Let all the bargaining unit members, the community and local press know that the Agency refuses to work with the employees to protect the mission, the public and the employees themselves
- Continue to solicit input and involvement as we push for a safe workplace- this Union belongs to all the bargaining unit members and we need everybody involved
- Continue to hold events regarding our progress in our efforts to make inroads
- Demand to bargain!
Feel free to reach out to your District for support, and send specific questions to [email protected].