Special Housing Units P.S. P5270.XX
The team members for the Union are:
The team members for the Agency:
NOTE: A memorandum from Assistant Director of CPD A. Dunbar, will be going out to all of the Wardens authorizing employees to wear the approved outer vest carrier. A change notice will be issued for the protective vest policy.
Special Management Units
This Policy has been through 30 day review. Making suggested changes and being sent for final approval.
Made various spelling and punctuation changes throughout this policy.
Purpose and Scope Services
3. Referral Procedures
(a.) Changed verbiage to read “a Diagnostic and CARE Level Formulation from Psychology Services, a medical evaluation, and a cover memorandum to the Warden summarizing the rationale for referral for SMU designation.
(2. e.) Current SMU inmates. Reworded this section to allow for inmates currently in the SMU program to remain. New verbiage: (Inmates currently housed in the SMU as of xx/xx/xxxx or prior to the effective date of this policy, will be individually assessed using form BP-A0949 to determine their level in the SMU Program according to the provisions of this Program Statement. The inmate’s ability to maintain clear conduct, successful participation in SMU programming, and efforts at positive interaction with staff and other inmates will be considered in making these assessments. For current SMU inmates, their time in the SMU may be more than 24 months depending on their level in the SMU program.)
Conditions of Confinement
(7) Recreation. Removed the following sentence to (16.c. Housing Unit Daily Record) “All out of cell time will also be recorded on the BP-A0950.”
(16) added following reference: “In addition, inmates with an identified need for routine and/or follow-up mental health services will receive these services in accordance with program statements 5310.16, Treatment and Care of Inmates with Mental Illness and 6340.04, Psychiatric Services.”
Program Structure and Reviews.
Added “No less than every 90 days” to SMU reviews.
(b. Level Two) removed the term “behavioral performance”
Level Progression, added statement “the inmate’s willingness/unwillingness to coexist with individuals, groups, or gangs must be documented via a memorandum to file”
(c. Level Three, Programming) changed daily to “Monday thru Friday”
also changed cognitive restructuring to “cognitive-behavioral programming”
(c. SMU Failures) total time allowed in SMU changed from 24 months to “24 consecutive months”
(d. SMU Returns) add new section: The maximum time an inmate may spend in SMU is 24 months. Thus inmates who complete the SMU program after 24 months will not be returned to the program unless they engage in additional disruptive behavior that warrants a new referral, which will be subject to approval as provided in policy.
Special Housing Unit
At the last meeting the Agency was sending verbiage to OGC for approval.
All Union proposed verbiage from the last meeting for the following sections was approved:
12. Conditions of Confinement
n. Programming – deleted section on increasing programming in its entirety.
The following additions and changes were negotiated:
2. Special Housing Units
Added “8 weeks” to the amount of time a – post-partum inmate should not be placed in SHU.
Discussed and agreed to add a section covering the 2010 Dodger memo, in reference to not being permitted to bring general population inmates to SHU for special meetings with SHU inmates, also inmates from SHU are not permitted to leave SHU for the same meetings.
Verbiage to read: General population inmates are not permitted to enter a secure housing unit to interact with inmates for dispute resolutions, intelligence gathering, or security threat group/disruptive group meetings. This also applies to removing inmates from a secure housing unit to meet with inmates in general population. Institutions must rely on trained investigative techniques, link analysis, and other means of gathering information without allowing inmates into a secure housing setting to conduct face to face meetings with one another.
Reviewed and approved the updates to the BP-292 to allow for recording all out of cell time.
4. Administrative Detention Status
(a) Pending Classification or Reclassification.
Removed “Self-Surrenders” from this section.
The group finished SHU PS5270.XX it is being sent to IPPA for formatting then out for 30-day review.