It's often difficult to choose among the messages bombarding consumers from fraudulent debt management companies and their misleading offers. The Union Plus Credit Counseling provides certified consumer credit counseling advisors who work with AFGE members to create a successful program to help eliminate debt.
More About The Benefit:
Members can get a FREE credit counseling session, budget analysis and advice to get back on the road to financial recovery. Simply complete a credit counseling report online or use the toll free number available 24/7.
The free session covers:
- Complete financial review and budget analysis
- Assistance in budgeting or advice on sources of additional income
- Advice on how to work with creditors
- A written Action Plan that summarizes your financial situation, provides a budget and timeline for reaching goals, and restates action items
- Referral to a social service organization in your area, if appropriate
- Referral to the AFGE Union Plus Legal Services or the AFGE Union Plus Mortgage assistance program, if appropriate.
Debt Management Plan (DMP)
After the initial session, if you need additional assistance to eliminate debt, your counselor will develop a customized DMP for you. You'll receive a 33% member-member discount on the set-up fee for a DMP.
A DMP allows you to make one simple monthly payment to Money Management International (MMI), and authorizes MMI to pay each of your creditors on your behalf based on the terms negotiated with them.
MMI also works with creditors to stop collection, waive or reduce interest charges, and eliminate finance charge or late fees, wherever possible.