The AFGE Young Organizing Unionists for the Next Generation (Y.O.U.N.G.) program seeks to mobilize young union members to become leaders and activists for social change within AFGE and the Labor Movement. AFGE members who are under the age of 40 and those mentors that are over 40 will work together to include younger workers into the union structure and keep them engaged in what’s at stake for working class Americans.
AFGE Y.O.U.N.G. intends to provide young members with networking opportunities and resources to engage in mobilizing other young workers into AFGE, union training to promote leadership skills, innovative social gatherings, AFGE conference meetings, and other engaging events. In doing so, AFGE Y.O.U.N.G. participants work to build lasting labor solidarity, advance issues of social and economic justice, and find more inclusive ways to engage the current and future generations in the Labor Movement.
Goals of the AFGE Y.O.U.N.G. Program
- Create tools to organize and mobilize young AFGE members and encourage non-members to join AFGE.
- Encourage mentors over the age of 40 to join the AFGE Y.O.U.N.G. Program to educate and prepare young members for leadership roles.
- Encourage Local & District leadership to select a Y.O.U.N.G. Representative.
- Educate members on the importance of AFGE Y.O.U.N.G. and the young workers movement as a whole.
- Include a AFGE Y.O.U.N.G. meeting/training or social event at major AFGE conferences.
Benefits to the Labor Movement
- Education and Training will provide a qualified group of union leaders for now and the future.
- Young Worker groups will increase often elusive young union member participation at the local level.
- Repositioning the Labor Movement will attract/educate people who are ignorant of what we do.
- Organizing young workers with other young workers is an effective way to expand our membership.
- Young Worker groups will help to build bridges between labor and potential allies in the community.
- Holding young worker meetings and Trainings will continue to bring fresh ideas to the table.